Getting Data In

Are there any additional Splunk_TA_vmware index configurations I need to be aware of?

maria1991
Explorer

Hi All

I have configured Splunk_TA_vmware along with SA_Hydra in our HF to collect data from vcenter.

I have also installed VMWIndex add-on on Indexer clusters as suggested in the documentation.

However the data is going to lastchance index when I was hoping the VMWIndex add-on would take care of the proper index configuration. 

Is there any additional configuration I need to do to get the logs into the indexes created by VMWIndex addon. Attaching the indexes.conf file from the addon. Tried adding index=index_name in the inputs.conf of Splunk_TA_vmware addon, but no luck. It is not getting any effect and still going into lastchance index only.

Kindly suggest.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Have you updated the inputs.conf on Splunk_TA_vmware and updated the "index=" to appropriate value based on input?

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/AddOns/released/VMW/vCenterlogs

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/AddOns/released/VMW/ESXihosts 

0 Karma

maria1991
Explorer

We do not have any monitor stanzas in the inputs.conf our app @somesoni2 .

The inputs look like this

[ta_vmware_collection_worker://alpha]
capabilities = hostvmperf,otherperf,hierarchyinv,hostinv,vminv,clusterinv,datastoreinv,rpinv,task,event
log_level = INFO
disabled = 1
interval = 15
index = vmware-vclog

[ta_vmware_collection_worker://beta]
capabilities = hostvmperf,otherperf,hierarchyinv,hostinv,vminv,clusterinv,datastoreinv,rpinv,task,event
log_level = INFO
disabled = 1
interval = 15
index = vmware-vclog

[ta_vmware_collection_worker://gamma]
log_level = INFO
disabled = 1
interval = 15
index = vmware-vclog

The index parameter is not actually there by default. I have added and tried but no luck.

We have another conf file ta_vmware_collection.conf in which we have below parameters under [default] stanza.

perf_index = vmware-perf
inv_index = vmware-inv
taskevent_index = vmware-taskevent

The script refers to these entries only to index the data. Even though these indexes are available in the indexes.conf of the addon we pushed(SA-VMWIndex) to our indexer cluster, the data is still going into lastchance index.

I have also tried index forcing on each sourcetype in the props with help of transforms. No luck 😞

0 Karma

maria1991
Explorer

@somesoni2@micahkemp  Any suggestions please?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Detecting Remote Code Executions With the Splunk Threat Research Team

WATCH NOWRemote code execution (RCE) vulnerabilities pose a significant risk to organizations. If exploited, ...

Enter the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge for Your Chance to Win!

The Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge is underway! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

.conf24 | Session Scheduler is Live!!

.conf24 is happening June 11 - 14 in Las Vegas, and we are thrilled to announce that the conference catalog ...