Getting Data In

Aggregate timestamp from WebLogic

vanaepi
Explorer

This is how my WebLogic logs look :

<TimestampUntilSeconds> <Fixed Number of Other tags here> <1369087465001> More data here

As you can see, they have a timestamp in the beginning, then they have some other information , then there's the time in milliseconds since 1970 and then there's the rest of the log.

Now, as expected, Splunk takes the first timestamp and ignores what appears to be a random number. But the timestamp is not accurate enough for me, so I would like to store the last three digits of the number as the milliseconds. How would I go about that?

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There are several tools to use from http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Data/Configuretimestamprecognition, most importantly in your case TIME_FORMAT to tell Splunk that it's looking for a unix timestamp, TIME_PREFIX to tell Splunk where to look, and MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD to tell Splunk how far to keep looking after that.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There are several tools to use from http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Data/Configuretimestamprecognition, most importantly in your case TIME_FORMAT to tell Splunk that it's looking for a unix timestamp, TIME_PREFIX to tell Splunk where to look, and MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD to tell Splunk how far to keep looking after that.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Based on the old definitions yes, but you can tell Splunk to read milliseconds using %3N. See the above link (minus the comma) for reference.

0 Karma

vanaepi
Explorer

Isn't a UNIX timestamp per definition accurate on the second? I need accuracy on the millisecond.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...