Getting Data In

After creating an index for the Search app, why is my indexes.conf file missing from C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\search?

jesmi_harindran

Hello,

I have trial version of Splunk Enterprise with me. I created an index for the search and reporting app, but why I do not find indexes.conf at the location below?

C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\search\

Jesmi

0 Karma

ktugwell_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Take a look in the GUI. Settings > Indexes. Find the index you created.

It will tell you which App context it was created in in the "App" column.

Your indexes.conf will be located in Splunk\etc\apps\"app name"\local\indexes.conf

0 Karma

lukejadamec
Super Champion

Did you look in Splunk\etc\apps\search\local ?

0 Karma

jesmi_harindran

The file Local is missing too.

0 Karma

lukejadamec
Super Champion

Not a file, a folder. When you make changes in Splunk they are put in the app\local folder. If you don't have a search\app\local folder, then the index was not created specifically for the search app.
From the UI, select Settings>Indexes, you should see a list with your index included. Which App is listed for that index?

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

Anything under Splunk\etc\system\local?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...