Getting Data In

Accessing restricted Windows share

timrich66
Communicator

Hello all,

I'm not sure what I have been asked to do is achievable.  I'm hoping that someone can advise.

We have a Windows 2003 server that cannot have a UF installed as it is not compatible with our current environment (8.1.6).  Anyway, that aside, I have managed to ingest data using 'open' shares from a UF on a Windows 2016 server to the 2003 server.

I now have a request to ingest data from a restricted share on the 2003 server.  I have tried setting up a share from the 2016 server to the 2003 server, but this does not work.  I guess because the UF is not using the same account as the share has been set up under?

Can anyone tell me how I can create a share for the Splunk UF to use?

Thanks

Labels (4)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

In general, there is no problem with installing Splunk UF on one server, let's call it Server1 and read files from a share from another server (Server2).

You simply create monitor inputs and read files from a given UNC path like \\Server2\share\path\filename.log

There is one caveat though. Splunk UF on Server1 has to have access to the share of course. With your typical AD-based infrastructure you'd set up the UF to run with a managed service account (not Local System, as it is installed by default) and grant this account access to the \\Server2\share

0 Karma

timrich66
Communicator

Thanks @PickleRick , I will talk with our infra team and admins to get the UF set up to use an AD account.

I'll reply to let you know the result.

0 Karma

timrich66
Communicator

Hi clever people,

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...