Splunk Dev

Can I select specified fields with the Python SDK?

anshanno
Path Finder

I'd like to write a python script to select only certain fields such as the UI does (example below) and load them into a pandas dataframe.

alt text

0 Karma
1 Solution

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes, just use the fields command in your search string:

...|fields Action bug_id Host User

View solution in original post

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes, just use the fields command in your search string:

...|fields Action bug_id Host User

anshanno
Path Finder

Awesome, thank you so much! I wasn't able to find this in the documentation.

EDIT: is there away to get rid of the extra garbage too, I am presuming something like ...|exclude fields yada yada?

Action,User,"b_Project",Host,"_bkt","_cd","_indextime","_kv","_raw","_serial","_si","_sourcetype","_subsecond","_time"

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It's ... | fields - thisOne thatOne

minus removes... plus adds / technically works too if you need to add a blank field, or if you just want to be verbose

... | fields + Action bug_id Host User
is same as
... | fields Action bug_id Host User

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...