Deployment Architecture

splunkforwarder out of memory

andresriancho
Explorer

I've been experimenting some out of memory issues in my server lately, basically the oom-killer
is called and one or more processes are killed. Among the processes that get killed there's always splunkforwarder.

After some testing, I decided to remove splunkforwarder from my server's boot and all problems stopped. If at any point in time I start the process, I get a new oom-killer issue.

Server is a small instance in amazon's ec2, using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. This are my deploy commands:

/opt/splunkforwarder/bin/splunk start --accept-license
/opt/splunkforwarder/bin/splunk install app ... -auth admin:changeme
/opt/splunkforwarder/bin/splunk login -auth admin:changeme
/opt/splunkforwarder/bin/splunk edit user admin -password df5...f13
/opt/splunkforwarder/bin/splunk list forward-server
/opt/splunkforwarder/bin/splunk add monitor /var/log/apache2/error.log

The questions are:

• Do you guys know about any memory leaks, or memory usage issues in splunkforwarder?
  • Any idea on how to reduce the memory usage? Any configuration parameter I can modify? I don't care about having all the information sent immediately to splunkstorm; if there is a compromise between speed and memory use, I would choose low memory use and slow speed.
Tags (1)
0 Karma

sinclairmachado
Explorer

This issue is generally when you have generalized a path to monitor.
Example [monitor:///var/logs/*]

This causes the issue. I had faced the same when we had added a generalized path (for oracle logs) the splunkd process was taking up heavy memory.
After changing path to specific log file to be monitored the memory usage settled down.
Example : [monitor:///var/log/messages]

Give it a go, hope it helps.

andresriancho
Explorer

Down voted since I'm only monitoring one file:

/opt/splunkforwarder/bin/splunk add monitor /var/log/apache2/error.log

The good thing is that your comment lets me know that this is a splunk bug. It shouldn't take more memory to monitor a large number of files.

@Splunk developers: Please fix.

0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

Not that I'm aware of.

Have you looked at the 5.0.2 version. It's been out for some time now.

0 Karma

andresriancho
Explorer

Any ideas on what this could be about? Is this a known issue? When should I expect a fix? Anything I can do to help with testing the fix?

0 Karma

andresriancho
Explorer

dpkg -i splunkforwarder-5.0.1-143156-linux-2.6-amd64.deb

Amazon ec2 AMI: ubuntu/images/ebs/ubuntu-precise-12.04-amd64-server-20121001

0 Karma

piebob
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

what version are you running?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...