Deployment Architecture

rf/sf set to 1 for 2 site system.

smithy001
Explorer

I have a client creating a new system that will have 2 sites with rf/sf per site being 1 and the total rf/sf being 2. Each site will have 3+ indexers.

My question is how this effects bucket distribution over the indexers if you leave maxbucket as the default of 3 and is there any performance implications

They're going rf/sf as 1 due to disk costs.

Thanks in advance

Labels (1)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

"rf/sf per site being 1 and the total rf/sf being 2"

What do you mean by that?

origin:1,total:2? Or site1:1,site2:1,total:2? Or something else?

0 Karma

smithy001
Explorer

the actual config has not been decided yet.

I'm trying to find the best one to spread the buckets across the indexers.

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

"The best one" actually depends on your:

1) Business needs

2) Budget (and other) constraints.

0 Karma

smithy001
Explorer

Thanks for that,

as I stated rf/sf is 1 per site so total of 2 searchable copies due to costs. 

I  want to know the best way to spread the buckets of an index over as many indexers as possible to get the best bandwidth out of the I/O sub-system.

Cheers

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

OK. In other words you _do_ want

site_replication_factor = origin:1,site1:1, site2:1,total:2

and the same for site_search_factor.

This will give you one copy at each site for total of two copies. The distribution of buckets within a single site will be managed by CM.

Just remember that within the "source" site the data will _not_ be moved from the indexer that you will be sending it to from your forwarders.

Also - if you happen to lose one indexer within a single site, the cluster will try to replicate the buckets from the other site which might end badly (you will run out of space since you'll be merging data from two indexers into a single one).

0 Karma

smithy001
Explorer

Thanks for that information

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...