Deployment Architecture

nmap.sh command not found

slowry1

I'm running Splunk 5.0.1 on an UBUNTU server (I'm an UBUNTU server newbie, so please be patient).
I've installed the Asset_Discovery app & trying to determine why I have no data indexed. I navigated to /opt/splunk/etc/apps/asset_discovery/bin and ran the command sudo nmap.sh -A -O. The result was nmap.sh: command not found. I listed the directory & see that it contains example_nmap.path nmap.cmd nmap.sh nmap.vps. It seems to me this is probably the issue, but I don't know how to resolve it.

Also, I'm confused about where to store the searches. Any documentation not included with the documentation on the app site would be appreciated.

0 Karma

SLowry

I thought I included the 'sudo' preface yesterday, maybe not. Anyway, when I run the command today nothing happens. Where should I see the results from the command?
I have read about running the command as root or setuid root. Is that something I include in the saved searches or a configuration on the server?

Thanks for the help.

Sam

0 Karma

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

Try "sudo ./nmap.sh -A -O" , also check that the nmap.sh file is executable by your logged in user.

Futhermore , from the app's download page , have you read and understood this :

It assumes that the command is available and in the path. Additionally, the nmap binary works best if it is run as root or setuid root. Running as a standard user will most likely yield unexpected results.

Any saved searches you create would typically go in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/asset_discovery/local/savedsearches.conf

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...