Deployment Architecture

is the physical server configuration effecting the SearchHead performance.

vikram_m
Path Finder

We have a searchhead and it is an Azure D4V2 machine i.e 8core machine.

We have real time alerts scheduled on the same, now a days we are facing the queue full alert regularly is this also due to the physical configuration of server will a recommendation to upgrade the VM help here.

Thanks.
Vikram.

0 Karma

jcrabb_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

As mentioned in other comments, with light to moderate use on a single instance, we would recommend 12 CPU Cores minimum. In a distributed environment the your requirements may increase based on your needs.

With that said, you will want to avoid Real Time Alerts as those searches will be running all the time and prevent other searches from being dispatched. Keep in mind, Splunk can only run so many searches at a given time. Here is the calculation:

https://answers.splunk.com/answers/270544/how-to-calculate-splunk-search-concurrency-limit-f.html

If your Real Time Alerts are simply sending an email, you should replace all of those with scheduled searches which send an alert and schedule them to run very often, for example every 5 minutes. In this example, there was a RT search running and we replaced it with a scheduled search which runs every 5 minutes, looking back 5 to 10 minutes. The reason we do that is to allow for index latency, to help guarantee that the relevant event isn't missed.

alt text

You could adjust that accordingly of course and set Earliest to -8m@m and Latest to -3m@m and run the search every 3 minutes. In summary, make sure you eliminate any unnecessary real time searches. If you are running too many searches in general, adjust the schedules to run less often.

Jacob
Sr. Technical Support Engineer
0 Karma

3no
Communicator

One core per search per user.

So if a user you open a dashboard with 8 panels, you're already at the limit.

0 Karma

vikram_m
Path Finder

Thanks for the answer 3no what my next doubt comes is we have dashboards also configured.

Now is a user logs in and sees the dashboard a core is utilized but suppose if no one opens the dashboard is there anything that still the core is utilized?

Sorry it may feel a invalid question but I had this doubt so asked it.

but thanks again for your previous reply.

0 Karma

3no
Communicator

No but il you have alerts, reports or schedule search running at this time, it will use them.

0 Karma

adonio
Ultra Champion

Hi Vikram_m, not sure i fully understand the situation but splunk best practices requires a stronger machine.
reference hardware described here in docs: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.3/Capacity/Referencehardware

0 Karma

vikram_m
Path Finder

Thanks for the doc adonio...this will be helpful.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...