Deployment Architecture

install splunk for linux apps using CLI

bwenge
Explorer

Hi,

How to install splunk for linux app using Command Line,not using Web interface.Can you also recommend me documentation on internet

Regards,

John

Tags (3)
0 Karma

JSapienza
Contributor

Right from the download page :

Unix/Linux: Decompress the downloaded file using a tool like tar -xvf and place the resulting folder into $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps. Then restart Splunk using the splunk restart command or the GUI.

JSapienza
Contributor

Ok.. Here is were I would need more information on your intent with this Splunk installation since the unix app is mostly Web UI based. With the exception of an inputs.conf that informs splunk on which events should be forwarded.
I suggest you also have a look at : SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/unix/README.txt .

0 Karma

bwenge
Explorer

Yes, I have extract the unix.tar.gz to $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps and I get new unix directory /opt/splunk/etc/apps/unix .So my question:How to check that my new installed Splunk for Unix apps is working?How to enable it without using Web Interface or I don't need that operation?

0 Karma

JSapienza
Contributor

OK.. Great! And did you extract the unix.tar.gz to $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps ?

0 Karma

bwenge
Explorer

Yes I have splunk installed and $SPLUNK_HOME = /opt/splunk.And it is is running as you can see
splunkd is running (PID: 14165).
splunk helpers are running (PIDs: 14166).

0 Karma

JSapienza
Contributor

Typically $SPLUNK_HOME = /opt/splunk . If this is missing then I have to ask a basic question. Do actually have Splunk installed ?

If not, then I suggest you download the appropriate version from here: http://www.splunk.com/download .
And follow these instructions:
http://www.splunk.com/base/Documentation/latest/Installation/InstallonLinux

0 Karma

bwenge
Explorer

Hi,
I have followed the procedure above to install splunk for *nix on linux server using CLI.Now I remark that I have new directory $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/unix/default but I don't have directory $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/unix/local.How to get it and How to enable that installed Splunk for *Nix app using CLI.

John

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...