Deployment Architecture

auditd splunkd

criscollins

We are required to monitor /var/log/audit. Whenever splunkd accesses audit.log a new event is created. We are getting close to ten thousand of these messages per hour. I have tried to create an excpetion in audit.rules, however there does not seem to be a good hook, that won't affect legitimate audit.log access events. Any ideas how to solve this issue?

Tags (2)
0 Karma

tmacdonagh
Engager

Removed my previous bad answer. The proper line to be entered into your audit.rules file is

-a exit,never -F path=/opt/splunkforwarder/bin/splunkd -k splunk_exclude

responsys_cm
Builder

Are these messages being generated from syscall rules or file system rules? If you are using a syscall rule, you can use the -F switch and exclude the uid of the Splunk user.

The other option is to just have Splunk route those events to the nullQueue.

Craig

0 Karma

tmacdonagh
Engager

splunk runs as root.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...