Deployment Architecture

Why does Splunk forwarder fail to keep running in Linux environment (variable in server.conf)?

joshnetwolf

Under /opt/splunkforwarder/etc/system/local/server.conf, we have used the env variable $INSTANCE_ID.

[general]

serverName = $INSTANCE_ID

We then verified that we got the right results by using the command:

./splunk show servername

This then showed the correct id we were looking for. However, when we go to start Splunk using ./splunk start OR ./splunk to restart it will then show it's started.

Right after it shows it's started, I attempt to verify it's running by using ./splunk status. This shows us that the service did not in fact start, and it still shows splunkd is not running.

Why is this?

We verified that if we hard code the result into the servername in server.conf, the service does in fact start.
But, for some reason, by using the env variable something is keeping Splunk from running.

Any help on this would be great!

Labels (2)
0 Karma

PavelP
Motivator

Hello @joshnetwolf

• what are the last lines in the output of ./splunk start?
  • what does the env variable $INSTANCE_ID contains?

After any environment variables are expanded, the server name
    (if not an IPv6 address) can only contain letters, numbers, underscores,
    dots, and dashes. The server name must start with a letter, number, or an
    underscore.

0 Karma

joshnetwolf

Update:
If we disable boot-start I found that we can then start the service with no issues. But if I where to enable boot-start after the splunk service is restarted and then preform a ./splunk restart it will fail to restart and will remain offline until you disable boot-start again and start the service.

Other Details:
Splunk forwarder version: splunkforwarder-7.2.3-06d57c595b80-linux-2.6-x86_64

0 Karma

tsizzlebuffet
Observer

Ever figure this out @joshnetwolf ? I was just hitting the same issue now trying to implement the same w 7.3.x

Docs for 7.3 vs 8.x are the same so - but havent tested it with 8.x install yet.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...