Deployment Architecture

Where my Fields at in Splunk 7.0? (Homie!)

baegoon
Explorer

I've created some field extractions from sourcetypes such as syslog and access_common on my search head. These are all inline fields and most are regex based. When I perform a general search such as sourcetype=syslog I see all of my fields under "Interesting Fields" fine I even moved them up to 'Selected Fields" that works fine.

When I add to my search such as sourcetype=syslog internal_src_ip=10.89.X.X OR internal_src_ip=10.89.Y.Y my field extractions DO NOT show up. And I can't specify them in the command line I checked all configs such as permissions and nothing seems to be hindering that.

I have the same extractions in Splunk 6.5 and my field extractions do show up when I perform advanced searches and my field extractions do show up in the "Interesting Fields" and "Selected Fields".

So is this quirk? I have been in google and splunk answers recently so this is kinda tricky to search.

Any insight on this is greatly appreciated.

0 Karma

p_gurav
Champion

Are you searching in "Verbose mode"? Also you can check with "extract" command. One question, what you put in field extraction, can you give sample?

0 Karma

baegoon
Explorer

Yes I tested all the modes, fast, smart, and verbose.

THe field extraction is: (?i).*? (?P\w+.[a-z_-]+.\w+.\w+.\w+)(?= )

This extracts websites from CISCO syslogs.

0 Karma

p_gurav
Champion

can you please give me props.conf file

0 Karma

baegoon
Explorer

So the text field is muttering up the REGEX bellow not sure why. but after the ?P is sslsite

[cisco_syslog]
TZ = UTC
EXTRACT-sslsite = "(?i).*? (?P\w+.[a-z_-]+.\w+.\w+.\w+)(?= )"

0 Karma

p_gurav
Champion

Sorry but why you are searching sourcetype=syslog, you should search sourcetype= cisco_syslog

0 Karma

baegoon
Explorer

That was an example when I first started the question. I am using sourcetype=cisco_syslog.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...