Deployment Architecture

Values for cluster_status when running splunk show cluster-bundle-status

jacobappleton
Explorer

I'm trying to automate some of our Splunk processes, and I need to know what the possible set of values are that can be returned for cluster_status when running splunk show cluster-bundle-status.

alt text

I don't seem to be able to find anything online to answer this question.

0 Karma
1 Solution

harsmarvania57
Ultra Champion

Hi @jacobappleton,

If you look at Cluster Master$SPLUNK_HOME/var/log/splunk/splunkd.log and grep CMBundleMgr then you will able to see different status when Cluster Master is deploying bundle to it's peers.

While looking at 6.5.X CM, I can see below status in my lab environment.

1. When Cluster Master is not deploying any bundle OR bundle is deployed to peers successfully then you will see status as None
  2. When you push bundle from CM to Indexers below are different sequential status
  3. First status will change from None to Bundle Creation is in progress.
  4. Then it will change Bundle Creation is in progress. to None
  5. From None to Bundle validation is in progress.
  6. From Bundle validation is in progress. to Bundle reload is in progress. Waiting for all peers to return the status.
  7. From Bundle reload is in progress. Waiting for all peers to return the status. to None

If Restart of peers(Indexers) is require then it will go to below status

• Sometimes CM do not go to last status and directly go from Bundle reload is in progress. Waiting for all peers to return the status. to Rolling restart of the peers is in progress. , if status change as per last point then it will change from None to Rolling restart of the peers is in progress.
  • At last it will change status from Rolling restart of the peers is in progress. to None

I hope this will help you.

Thanks,
Harshil

View solution in original post

harsmarvania57
Ultra Champion

Hi @jacobappleton,

If you look at Cluster Master$SPLUNK_HOME/var/log/splunk/splunkd.log and grep CMBundleMgr then you will able to see different status when Cluster Master is deploying bundle to it's peers.

While looking at 6.5.X CM, I can see below status in my lab environment.

1. When Cluster Master is not deploying any bundle OR bundle is deployed to peers successfully then you will see status as None
  2. When you push bundle from CM to Indexers below are different sequential status
  3. First status will change from None to Bundle Creation is in progress.
  4. Then it will change Bundle Creation is in progress. to None
  5. From None to Bundle validation is in progress.
  6. From Bundle validation is in progress. to Bundle reload is in progress. Waiting for all peers to return the status.
  7. From Bundle reload is in progress. Waiting for all peers to return the status. to None

If Restart of peers(Indexers) is require then it will go to below status

• Sometimes CM do not go to last status and directly go from Bundle reload is in progress. Waiting for all peers to return the status. to Rolling restart of the peers is in progress. , if status change as per last point then it will change from None to Rolling restart of the peers is in progress.
  • At last it will change status from Rolling restart of the peers is in progress. to None

I hope this will help you.

Thanks,
Harshil

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...