Deployment Architecture

Understanding distributed search replication blacklisting behaviour

Lucas_K
Motivator

I'm trying to understand what happens to distsearch when you black list something. For example a csv file.

I've been looking into what is the best methodology for stopping large csv files from being sent to indexers via bundle replication. We have noticed recently power users creating ever growing lookup files. These eventually result in field extraction issues as normal props/transforms don't get replicated in a timely fashion. As such we're looking to limit csv's in the bundle.

Blocking them is the easy part. ie distsearch.conf [replicationBlacklist]

My issue becomes what is the flow on effect of doing this? Indexers can no longer reference the lookup file in a search so what happened then? The indexer requires is for the search, it doesn't find it so it streams back all the results instead? Does the search just fail to return anything if it uses a inputlookup early in the search?

What is actually happening under the hood when you blacklist a lookup?

bsriramineni_sp
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...