Deployment Architecture

Unable to manipulate serverclass whitelist via REST

wegscd
Contributor

We're trying to script some whitelisting of hosts in serverclasses, hit a snag.

We create a test serverclass named 'posttest' with one app and nothing in the whitelist. When we try to add a host:

curl -x '' -k -u admin:xxxxxxx https://splunk-c-ds.local:8089/services/deployment/server/serverclasses/posttest -d whitelist.0=posted_host

we get this response

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<response>
  <messages>
    <msg type="ERROR">
 In handler 'serverclasses': bundle=serverclass stanza=serverClass:posttest The sourceApp=system doesn't equal callerApp=search</msg>
  </messages>
</response>

This appears to be the same issue seen by a212830 seen down in the notes for https://answers.splunk.com/answers/307335/why-am-i-getting-error-cannot-perform-action-post.html, no there is no solution posted there.

We're running 6.3.0.1.

0 Karma
1 Solution

wegscd
Contributor

Found my own answer. The POST endpoint is not always /services/deployment/server/serverclasses/classname

It's different for the different serverclasses (depends on what application you were in when dropped into forwarder management and added the server class). When POSTing changes, you need to use the endpoint listed in the href for the <link> that has rel="edit"

View solution in original post

ben_leung
Builder

Have you tried adding "reload" to the endpoint url?

/services/deployment/server/serverclasses//reload

0 Karma

wegscd
Contributor

Found my own answer. The POST endpoint is not always /services/deployment/server/serverclasses/classname

It's different for the different serverclasses (depends on what application you were in when dropped into forwarder management and added the server class). When POSTing changes, you need to use the endpoint listed in the href for the <link> that has rel="edit"

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...