Deployment Architecture

UF establishes connection to DS, then it resets connection and is not seen in DS

rafaelruales
Explorer

Hi,

Splunk noob here.

I cannot get a deployment client to show up in deployment server.

turned DEBUG on splunkd.log and can see that it communicates with the deployment server:

DEBUG DC:DeploymentClient - channel=deploymentServer/phoneHome/default Success sending phonehome to DS.

I have ran tcpdump on the client and it makes a tcp connection to DS, goes through the TLS handshake fine, and then 30 seconds later, client send a FIN and then RST to the deployment server.

I get this freaking thing all the time, which I have googled of course, and the provided answer is worthless:

https://community.splunk.com/t5/Monitoring-Splunk/What-does-this-error-message-mean-quot-something-n...

./splunk display deploy-client
Deployment Client is enabled.
This command [GET /services/messages/restart_required/] needs splunkd to be up, and splunkd is down.

Are these the normal splunk processes?

splunk 7682 1 0 12:47 ? 00:00:08 splunkd -p 8089 restart
splunk 7683 7682 0 12:47 ? 00:00:00 [splunkd pid=7682] splunkd -p 8089 restart [process-runner]

Any ideas?

@gcusello 

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

rafaelruales
Explorer

The issue was related to inconsistencies in the files: /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts regarding the machine name, since the inputs.conf file in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local references a specific name, which was different from the one in the 2 files mentioned above.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

rafaelruales
Explorer

The issue was related to inconsistencies in the files: /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts regarding the machine name, since the inputs.conf file in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local references a specific name, which was different from the one in the 2 files mentioned above.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...