Deployment Architecture

The Client forwarder management not showing the clients

AAlhabba
Explorer

Dears,

After upgraded Splunk from 9.1.2 version to 9.2.0 version, the deployment server not showing the clients, but Splunk receiving logs from clients, and also the client agents showing on all Splunk servers under setting --> Forwarder Managment except Deployment server, I don't know how that occurred, I didn't change anything.

Kindly your support for that.

Best Regards, 

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

AAlhabba
Explorer

Dears,

I have resolved the issue by adding below configuration under outputs.conf in the deployment server, then restart splunk service in the deployment server.

[indexAndForward]

index = true

selectiveIndexing = true

You can see below URL:

Upgrade pre-9.2 deployment servers - Splunk Documentation

View solution in original post

AJ_splunk1

Does this work with splunk cloud as well? WE have splunk onprem deployment server, indexers are all in the cloud and experiencing the same where clients are not showing up after an update to 9.2.x. They are phoning home however as per the logs

0 Karma

AJ_splunk1

nvm figured it out. It was the output.conf in this app - etc/apps/SplunkDeploymentServerConfig. Documentation is a bit confusing for this

0 Karma

learningmode
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Hi @AJ_splunk1, just a heads-up that https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.2.0/Updating/Upgradepre-9.2deploymentservers states that " In particular, there is a new system-generated app, etc/apps/SplunkDeploymentServerConfig, which contains configuration files necessary to the proper functioning of the deployment server. Do not alter this directory or its files in any way."

I chose to implement the 9.2 fix (also shown on the page link above) as a separate app in \etc\apps on the ds and just called something like "Fix_DSClientList" so it's more obvious there's a modification in place.

I hope that helps.

0 Karma

AAlhabba
Explorer

Dears,

I have resolved the issue by adding below configuration under outputs.conf in the deployment server, then restart splunk service in the deployment server.

[indexAndForward]

index = true

selectiveIndexing = true

You can see below URL:

Upgrade pre-9.2 deployment servers - Splunk Documentation

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Thereare no miracles. If they are showing in the Forwarder Management section on a server different than your designated DS, they must have been pointed there somehow. Check your deployment server definition on your forwarders.

0 Karma

landrujw
Engager

We are experiencing the same thing. The clients are showing up in the client_events logs checking in and phoning home on the deployment server. But after updating to 9.2 they aren't appearing under the Settings>Forwarder Management page on the DS. We have not made any changes to the forwarders yet.

0 Karma

mykol_j
Path Finder

FWIW, happening here as well, with 9.2.0.1.

Checked all The Things mentioned in that doc everyone keeps referencing, including those stanzas mentioned numerous times here.

Another symptom of mine is that the ForwarderManager (deployer) doesn't appear in my monitored servers in the SplunkManager (aka Master).

Tags (1)
0 Karma

AAlhabba
Explorer

Hi,

Did you open case with Splunk support about this issue, I already opened still Splunk support trying to resolve it.

Best Regards,

0 Karma

ccsfdave
Builder

Any luck with support?  I tried the outputs.conf solution in this thread but it doesn't seem to have worked.  

Pre-upgrade from 9.0.x to 9.2.1 I had 300ish clients in my DS.  right now only 14 are showing up.

Thanks,

Dave

0 Karma

landrujw
Engager

Applying the stanza you referenced below worked for us as well:

[indexAndForward]
index = true
selectiveIndexing = true   

Thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...