Deployment Architecture

Splunk is using the wrong disk for some reason - why ?

sbenamro

I have 2 drives - C and D on the indexer.
I've defined the D drive for the indexing.
yet Splunk Folder is using 19GB - I've noticed that the biggest folder is C:\Program Files\Splunk\var\run\searchpeers
which uses 13GB.

what am I missing here ?

oh and this indexer is the licenser as well.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

$SPLUNK_HOME/var/run/searchpeers stores bundles from your search heads used by the indexer to run searches for them with the appropriate configurations. Indexing happens elsewhere, by default in $SPLUNK_HOME/var/lib/splunk - see if that's fairly small compared to what you've defined on your second drive to confirm that the index path setting is working.

As for your searchpeers folder using 13GB, this can have several reasons:
- is your bundle huge, e.g. massive lookup files?
- do you have many search heads, each distributing different bundles? Consider merging the search heads into a search head cluster, reducing the number of different bundles on your indexers.
- are there old bundles from legacy search heads? These can be deleted.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...