Deployment Architecture

Splunk_TA_stream - deployment server install failure - file is in use by another process

jswilmoth
Engager

We have deployed Splunk_TA_stream to our Windows domain controllers. We made a change so the app is trying to redeploy. On about half the deployment clients, the install fails. After some lengthy troubleshooting I figured out to turn debug logging on, and got more details about the error.

Essentially the app can't re-install because there are files in use. How can we resolve this issue? I don't have access to the clients themselves, plus there are almost a hundred of them.

05-08-2019 09:55:15.556 -0400 WARN DeployedApplication - Unable to eliminate dir='C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\etc\apps\Splunk_TA_stream'. Splunk will continue trying to install application
05-08-2019 09:55:15.556 -0400 INFO DeployedApplication - Installing app=Splunk_TA_stream to='C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\etc\apps\Splunk_TA_stream'
05-08-2019 09:55:17.884 -0400 WARN DeployedApplication - Failed to create file C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\etc\apps\Splunk_TA_stream\windows_x86_64\bin\Packet.dll while untarring C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\var\run\Win_DomainControllers\Splunk_TA_stream-1557321794.bundle: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

0 Karma
1 Solution

jswilmoth
Engager

Solution was:

1.) disable all streams in the configuration
2.) created a custom app with a scripted input:
net stop npf -- this should remove the lock on the files (or reboot)
3.) app deploys successfully
4.) mark custom app to uninstall (so the command stops running)
5.) re-enable the streams in the configuration

View solution in original post

0 Karma

jswilmoth
Engager

Solution was:

1.) disable all streams in the configuration
2.) created a custom app with a scripted input:
net stop npf -- this should remove the lock on the files (or reboot)
3.) app deploys successfully
4.) mark custom app to uninstall (so the command stops running)
5.) re-enable the streams in the configuration

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...