Deployment Architecture

Splunk 9.0.5 - Workaround - disabling the ability to process ANSI escape codes

tdeanesh
Loves-to-Learn Lots

As mentioned in https://advisory.splunk.com/advisories/SVD-2023-0606 under "Mitigations and Workarounds"

users can protect themselves from log injections via ANSI escape characters in general, by disabling the ability to process ANSI escape codes

Above statement is very generic statement and we cannot find any articles in internet about how to do the same.

Take for e.g SSH putty is  generally used by most users. Above statement says to disable process of ANSI escape codes from this terminal app ?

If that is the case. Where can we find the disabling ANSI escape codes documentation

This is just one generic example

As this is mitigation and workaround we also need to be carefully weigh Pros/Cons of it

Please correct me If my understanding is wrong ?

Any help/pointers in making us understand the above point will be of great help

Labels (1)
0 Karma

tdeanesh
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Here under Terminal emulation option also I dont see any specific option through which ANSI codes can be controlled

Am I seeing the correct option?

Option and approach needs to be documented from my side properly in a step by step manner

Unless I am clear with the approach, I cannot come up with the steps for disabling the ability on Terminal

Thanks for the prompt replies

1188_1059_2.5.png

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

My apologies.  I recalled a selector where one could choose the terminal emulation, but I must have been thinking of a different program.

The setting in question is "Terminal-type string" in Connection->Data.  Enter a value from your system's termcap or terminfo file for a terminal type that does not support ANSI sequences.  Your Linux system admin should be able to assist with the choice.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

tdeanesh
Loves-to-Learn Lots

I have one more question after discussing internally
        Is there a way/mechanism available to identify if the splunk log files are effected and if possible isolate
        Please let me know if there is any tool/script which is already available ?

Thanks in advance

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I am not aware of a method to determine if the vulnerability has already been exploited.  In theory, you should search for fragments of ANSI escape sequences using SPL (the vulnerability applies only to the CLI), but don't know what one would search for since Splunk and other site have few details available.

---
0 Karma

tdeanesh
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Thanks for response.

Based on articles/links and interactions with other members. 

Note: Below workaround solution varies based on deployment (attack surface)  for other setups

Simple/Minimal solution I see as of now:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Summary:

Issue: Unauthenticated Log Injection in Splunk Enterprise

Attack Surface : Not straight forward (There is minimal scope of any injection from Splunk Enterprise setup as it has been configured for few restricted users)

Link: https://community.splunk.com/t5/Deployment-Architecture/How-to-disable-the-ability-to-process-ANSI-e...

Workaround:  Ask end user to use “less” command instead of “cat”/”tail” commands to access splunk logs ( To be on safer side) in terminal.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please let me know anything else needs to be added for workaround. 

Please feel free to correct if I am missing anything during understanding

0 Karma

tdeanesh
Loves-to-Learn Lots

I have question specific to Putty  

What all options need to disabled as part of this suggestion

Sample screeshot of putty is attached below

1226_1066_2.5.png

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

you should disable at least:

• Disable remote-controlled window title changing
  • And definitely keep Response to remote title query as None or Empty string

As said on other replies your users should use less instead of cat/tail/more etc. Another option is use "cat -vet" instead of pure cat.

As @richgalloway said you could/should use some other terminal value e.g. dummy or something else which cannot use ANSI codes. Of course you lost quite a many terminal's features with this way....

r. Ismo

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Probably none of those.  Go to the Terminal setting and choose an emulation that does not support ANSI character sequences.  Be aware that different emulators have varying (or sometime no) support for applications that write to random screen locations (like full-screen editors and programs like top).

---
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This Answer may answer your question.

https://community.splunk.com/t5/Security/Disable-ANSI-escape-codes/m-p/652082

---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...