Deployment Architecture

Setting Deployment Server during install via CLI?

mikelanghorst
Motivator

Is there an install option for the Windows Universal Forwarder to configure the deployment server when using the /quiet switch? Not seeing it in the install guide.

1 Solution

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

There is. Unfortunately, the install docs look like they're out-of-date with respect to the flags, but the current flags are documented here:

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/4.2.3/Deploy/DeployaWindowsdfviathecommandline

Basically, you can add the flag DEPLOYMENT_SERVER=mydeploymentsvr:8089 or whatever to the command line. I personally still prefer to do it via config files, but the flag probably is good enough for almost all cases.

View solution in original post

JoeIII
Path Finder

I created a transform with Orca to configure the deployment server and "AGREE_TO_LICENSE"

If you are familiar with orca (or likely if you are not, but are clever) you should be able to make one to fit your environment as well.

0 Karma

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

There is. Unfortunately, the install docs look like they're out-of-date with respect to the flags, but the current flags are documented here:

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/4.2.3/Deploy/DeployaWindowsdfviathecommandline

Basically, you can add the flag DEPLOYMENT_SERVER=mydeploymentsvr:8089 or whatever to the command line. I personally still prefer to do it via config files, but the flag probably is good enough for almost all cases.

malmoore
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The docs have been updated.

0 Karma

mikelanghorst
Motivator

Thanks, I'll check with piebob about including on the install doc. Yea i typically prefer to manipulate the configs directly. Bit for this would prefer to have it install with a single command.

kdenton
Path Finder

I have done it this way to 300+ servers, and to my knowledge there is no flag to set the deployment server on install it still has to be done manually.

1. silent install the Universal Forwarder using the option to not have splunk start after the install is complete.
  2. Kick off a script after the installation if complete that copies my deploymentclient.conf to the server
  3. start the Universal Forwarder.... the based on how you have your splunk deployment server setup down comes the config files for your apps.

You can use the command "Splunk list forward-server to see which server its talking to and if you have multiple indexers defined then you should see all of them listed.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

mikelanghorst
Motivator

That's how I've been handling on the unix side, but my deployment/configuration tool isn't installed on Windows, so trying to have the install as simple/compact as possible.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...