Deployment Architecture

Search Heads and Search Peers configuration

SecurityFeller
Explorer

Currently working on deploying Splunk on AWS to work in conjunction with our current on-prem solution and I have 2 questions.

Can I configure our AWS Search heads to function as normal Search Heads AND as search peers for our on-prem solution? Or would I need dedicated search peers?

And would I be able to place the Search peers behind a NLB and point the on-prem distconf file to that NLB? Or would I have to hardcode the instances in the distconf file? 

0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The AWS search heads can service the on-prem system, not as search peers, but as Federated Search (FS) providers.  FS allows one Splunk environment (on-prem, in this example) to query another (AWS) and include those results as part of a local search.  You can read more about FS at https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/FederatedSearch/fsoptions

Never put a load balancer in a network path that uses the Splunk-to-Spunk protocol.  LBs don't know that protocol and can't be relied on to manage the connections correctly.  Put all of the search peers in the servers= line of distsearch.conf or use Indexer Discovery.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

SecurityFeller
Explorer

Thank you! 

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The AWS search heads can service the on-prem system, not as search peers, but as Federated Search (FS) providers.  FS allows one Splunk environment (on-prem, in this example) to query another (AWS) and include those results as part of a local search.  You can read more about FS at https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/FederatedSearch/fsoptions

Never put a load balancer in a network path that uses the Splunk-to-Spunk protocol.  LBs don't know that protocol and can't be relied on to manage the connections correctly.  Put all of the search peers in the servers= line of distsearch.conf or use Indexer Discovery.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...