Deployment Architecture

Recommendations for OS partitions, mount points and RAID configuration for linux servers

amruthamkumar
Observer

planning to deploy a splunk architecture with one SH and indexer cluster with 100GB/day data ingestion. Are there any recommendation documentations for OS partitions (paths with size), mount points and RAID configuration for linux servers.

Labels (3)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Some general recommendations:

• Keep the OS, $SPLUNK_HOME, and $SPLUNK_DB on separate mount points
  • Don't use NFS
  • Avoid RAID 0
  • Use a supported file system
  • Partition size depends on the instance type and the amount of data to be stored.  300GB is recommended for non-indexers.  Indexer storage needs depend on index retention, replication, and use of SmartStore.
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Well... One could argue about the "don't use RAID0" (which actually isn't a RAID because there is no redundancy) since with RF>1 you provide redundancy at the whole cluster's level. But that's something we could debate long over a beer if I ever go to .conf 🙂

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I try to avoid RAID0 because loss of a single disk takes down the entire array.  I won't be bitten by that again.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Of course. With a single disk installation a single disk also takes down whole machine 😉

But seriously - it's just a matter of risk and cost management. Some users can accept the risk of the whole machine going down knowing that the machine is cheaper (and possibly a bit faster). But I agree, the storage is relatively cheap nowadays.

One important caveat: I'm of course talking about components which are replicated (indexers, search heads). You probably don't want a RAID0-based machine as CM.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Monitoring Postgres with OpenTelemetry

Behind every business-critical application, you’ll find databases. These behind-the-scenes stores power ...

Mastering Synthetic Browser Testing: Pro Tips to Keep Your Web App Running Smoothly

To start, if you're new to synthetic monitoring, I recommend exploring this synthetic monitoring overview. In ...

Splunk Edge Processor | Popular Use Cases to Get Started with Edge Processor

Splunk Edge Processor offers more efficient, flexible data transformation – helping you reduce noise, control ...