Deployment Architecture

Newer Version of Application

jraynor196
Explorer

Let's say I create a splunk application and I give it (the zipped up archive) to my splunk admin to install. A few weeks later I have a new build with some updated view(s) etc..

What are my options for deployment besides giving a newer zipped up acrhive?

Could I just give the updated files and tell the admin to overlay the newer files and increase the build number?

Or is it better to just redeploy?

Bear in mind this will be a private application that will not be uploaded to splunkbase.

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ltawfall
Path Finder

Depends on how friendly your splunk admin is and how many splunk servers you have. You can replace individual files, but it's probably easier for your admin to just upload a new zipped up archive. I would probably just ask the admin what they prefer.

View solution in original post

ltawfall
Path Finder

Depends on how friendly your splunk admin is and how many splunk servers you have. You can replace individual files, but it's probably easier for your admin to just upload a new zipped up archive. I would probably just ask the admin what they prefer.

Lucas_K
Motivator

We do this all the time. Its it MUCH easier to have the entire app zipped then replacing individual files.

You'll also know that the files currently being used are the ones you expect.

As already mentioned version number is pretty much irrelevant for internal apps. So just use it as required (ie. your own tracking of current running version etc).

0 Karma

linu1988
Champion

it is possible to replace the older files with new one which will reflect the changes, If you are not bothered about the versions it will work. Backup the existing items before changing.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...