Deployment Architecture

Microsoft o365 app for splunk

trojan_81
Path Finder

Folks,

I would like to know what name of index you recommend for o365 audit logs via the Microsoft o365 add-on for splunk.  I know it doesn't matter, but I want to go with whatever most people are using. 

Labels (1)
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @trojan_81,

you can use the index name you prefer because index name isn't important and the choice to have only one or two indexed depends only on the retention time and user grants to your data.

In other words, you should put in the same index also different kind of data (a Splunk index isn't a database table!) but with the same retention time and the same user access grants.

Anyway, in my projects I used "o365" for all Office365 logs for the reasons I already described, but it isn't mandatory.

If you like, you can also use different indexes bt you have to remember this in you dashboards.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @trojan_81,

you can use the index name you prefer because index name isn't important and the choice to have only one or two indexed depends only on the retention time and user grants to your data.

In other words, you should put in the same index also different kind of data (a Splunk index isn't a database table!) but with the same retention time and the same user access grants.

Anyway, in my projects I used "o365" for all Office365 logs for the reasons I already described, but it isn't mandatory.

If you like, you can also use different indexes bt you have to remember this in you dashboards.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @trojan_81,

good for you.

Ciao and happy splunking.

Giuseppe

P.S.: Karma Points are appreciated 😉

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...