Deployment Architecture

Is there a way to identify which search head a user logs into in a search cluster?

michael_leo
Explorer

Is there a way to identify which search head a user logs into in a search cluster?

There are times when there are issues, and I need for the user to tell me which search head they are on, and there is no easy way to determine that.

0 Karma
1 Solution

BainM
Communicator

From one of our audit dashboards:
This can be run and deployed from any searchhead. It will also pick up anyone logged into the CM, Deployer, LM, etc.

index=_audit NOT user="n/a" NOT user="splunk-system-user" NOT "scheduler__nobody__search" "info=succeeded"
| bucket _time span=1mon
| stats values(user) as Users, first(action) as currentstate by _time, host
| where currentstate="login attempt" | xyseries _time, host, Users | fields - currentstate, _time

Note: Works as of 6.6.3

View solution in original post

BainM
Communicator

From one of our audit dashboards:
This can be run and deployed from any searchhead. It will also pick up anyone logged into the CM, Deployer, LM, etc.

index=_audit NOT user="n/a" NOT user="splunk-system-user" NOT "scheduler__nobody__search" "info=succeeded"
| bucket _time span=1mon
| stats values(user) as Users, first(action) as currentstate by _time, host
| where currentstate="login attempt" | xyseries _time, host, Users | fields - currentstate, _time

Note: Works as of 6.6.3

BainM
Communicator

I would fiddle around with the
bucket _time span=1mon
As right now it is set for 1 month. Don't set it for too low though, otherwise the users column will fill up with duplicates.

0 Karma

michael_leo
Explorer

i have, and built a dashboard so anyone can use it. Very useful.

0 Karma

michael_leo
Explorer

wicked!

thanks much!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...