Deployment Architecture

Is there a way to identify which search head a user logs into in a search cluster?

michael_leo
Explorer

Is there a way to identify which search head a user logs into in a search cluster?

There are times when there are issues, and I need for the user to tell me which search head they are on, and there is no easy way to determine that.

0 Karma
1 Solution

BainM
Communicator

From one of our audit dashboards:
This can be run and deployed from any searchhead. It will also pick up anyone logged into the CM, Deployer, LM, etc.

index=_audit NOT user="n/a" NOT user="splunk-system-user" NOT "scheduler__nobody__search" "info=succeeded"
| bucket _time span=1mon
| stats values(user) as Users, first(action) as currentstate by _time, host
| where currentstate="login attempt" | xyseries _time, host, Users | fields - currentstate, _time

Note: Works as of 6.6.3

View solution in original post

BainM
Communicator

From one of our audit dashboards:
This can be run and deployed from any searchhead. It will also pick up anyone logged into the CM, Deployer, LM, etc.

index=_audit NOT user="n/a" NOT user="splunk-system-user" NOT "scheduler__nobody__search" "info=succeeded"
| bucket _time span=1mon
| stats values(user) as Users, first(action) as currentstate by _time, host
| where currentstate="login attempt" | xyseries _time, host, Users | fields - currentstate, _time

Note: Works as of 6.6.3

BainM
Communicator

I would fiddle around with the
bucket _time span=1mon
As right now it is set for 1 month. Don't set it for too low though, otherwise the users column will fill up with duplicates.

0 Karma

michael_leo
Explorer

i have, and built a dashboard so anyone can use it. Very useful.

0 Karma

michael_leo
Explorer

wicked!

thanks much!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...