Deployment Architecture

Index replication disabled...remove replicated buckets?

ckurtz
Path Finder

I had Index Clustering and Replication (Rep Factor 3) enabled on my Splunk 5.0.4 indexer cluster, but had to disable replication because my cold storage (NFS) was too slow -- replication was causing the cluster to panic as the storage became farther and farther behind.

I now have several dozen GBs of replicated buckets (starting with rb) on the NFS storage that the indexers are no longer referencing, since replication is disabled (replication factor = 1).

To be clear, I am still Clustering, just have replication and search factors set to 1.

Can I safely delete the buckets in cold (labeled as rb*) to reclaim space? Or will these buckets age to frozen properly?

I plan on re-enabling Replication once we upgrade to 6 (in several months) and can replicate hot->hot.

1 Solution

sowings
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

My interpretation of this is that yes, you can remove the rb* from cold, but that you shouldn't do so with a live index. Thawed is the only bucket lifecycle intended to be tolerant of "new bucket", "delete a bucket" behavior while online, to the best of my knowledge.

So, shut down, remove (or simply relocate the directory) with the rb_ colds, and then bring Splunk back up.

Note that if you set repFactor = 0, the bucket names will no longer have the rb_GUID form.

View solution in original post

ckurtz
Path Finder

Official answer from support is to NOT remove any replicated buckets even with clustering disabled, as they may be marked as the Primary Bucket. It is best to let them age out.

0 Karma

sowings
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Good to know; thanks for following up.

0 Karma

sowings
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

My interpretation of this is that yes, you can remove the rb* from cold, but that you shouldn't do so with a live index. Thawed is the only bucket lifecycle intended to be tolerant of "new bucket", "delete a bucket" behavior while online, to the best of my knowledge.

So, shut down, remove (or simply relocate the directory) with the rb_ colds, and then bring Splunk back up.

Note that if you set repFactor = 0, the bucket names will no longer have the rb_GUID form.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...