Deployment Architecture

How to update datamodels on a distributed system

robertlynch2020
Motivator

Hi
I have one search head and two indexers (Non-Clustered).

So how do I update data models? (E.G new Field, update a field, etc...)
Do I do it on the search head and then have to update the indexer configuration manually or does it happen automatically?
OR is there something else I am missing?

Thanks
Robert

0 Karma
1 Solution

jnudell_2
Builder

Hi Robert,

When you make changes to data models, you only need to adjust their settings on the search head that the data model is configured on. If it's accelerated, you would have to first disable acceleration, make your change and the enable acceleration again.

You will not need to make any adjustments on the indexer(s).

View solution in original post

0 Karma

jnudell_2
Builder

Hi Robert,

When you make changes to data models, you only need to adjust their settings on the search head that the data model is configured on. If it's accelerated, you would have to first disable acceleration, make your change and the enable acceleration again.

You will not need to make any adjustments on the indexer(s).

0 Karma

robertlynch2020
Motivator

Thanks for the answer.

So, if i add a new Indexer (Non clustered, search peer). I don't have to install the data models onto that search peer?

0 Karma

jnudell_2
Builder

No. You don't have to install the data model on any search peers. You only configure it on the search head. If you accelerate the data model, the indexers (search peers) will automatically create the associated accelerated summaries. Nothing needs to be modified on the indexers.

0 Karma

robertlynch2020
Motivator

great thanks, i will try and get back to you

0 Karma

robertlynch2020
Motivator

HI

To come back to you on this question.
We have installed a SH and 4 INDEXERS(Non Clustered). We have installed our app with our indexers=mlc_live and or datamodels.
We have set up the forwarders to send data to the INDEXERS, however the SH is giving us errors saying

"Search peer hp400srv_6000_INDEXER1 has the following message: Received event for unconfigured/disabled/deleted index=mlc_live with source="source::/net/dell429srv/dell429srv1/apps/QCST_RSAT_v3.1.43_SEC1/logs/traces/mxtiming_286120_dell429srv_80849.log" host="host::NICKNAME" sourcetype="sourcetype::MX_TIMING2".

So the INDEXERS dont know about the Index=MLC_LIVE, so 2 questions

How do i set up the indexes on the indexers?

Should i use this
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.3.1/Updating/Aboutdeploymentserver

I am assuming i have to set my forwarders to send data to the 4 indexers

Cheers in advance

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...