Deployment Architecture

How can we expand our Splunk Enterprise deployment in a hardware constrained environment?

randy_moore
Path Finder

We are currently running Splunk in single instance mode and have grown enough that we need to expand it. I have the ability to provision an existing beefy server to be a second indexer. However, I do not have the hardware to have a dedicated search heard.

My reading of the splunk documentation is that I will need 3 servers minimum (1 SH, 2 IX). Is that correct? Is there no way to do "just add a second index" (management question)?

0 Karma
1 Solution

mwdbhyat
Builder

Have you thought of virtualizing - if the server is "beefy" you could potentially do that..It has its benefits and its drawbacks - see below https://www.splunk.com/web_assets/pdfs/secure/Splunk_and_VMware_VMs_Tech_Brief.pdf

You will need min 3 physical servers if you want a distributed environment, im sure you could somehow hack around this but you wouldnt get any performance gain.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

mwdbhyat
Builder

Have you thought of virtualizing - if the server is "beefy" you could potentially do that..It has its benefits and its drawbacks - see below https://www.splunk.com/web_assets/pdfs/secure/Splunk_and_VMware_VMs_Tech_Brief.pdf

You will need min 3 physical servers if you want a distributed environment, im sure you could somehow hack around this but you wouldnt get any performance gain.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...