Deployment Architecture

Errors Uninstalling Apps with Deployment Server Preventing Splunkd restarts

oreoshake
Communicator

When uninstalling an app, the following errors are preventing splunkd for restarting:

03-30-2010 22:28:12.157 WARN  DeployedApplication - Uninstalling application: sample_app
03-30-2010 22:28:12.157 WARN  DeployedApplication - Removing app at location: /opt/splunk/etc/apps/sample_app
03-30-2010 22:30:06.068 ERROR IniFile - Cannot open ini file for parsing: No such file or directory
03-30-2010 22:30:06.068 ERROR ConfObjectManagerDB - Cannot initialize: /opt/splunk/etc/apps/sample_app/metadata/default.meta

I copied the entire default app/* structure (except search) to my deployment-apps directory on the deployment server. This file exists on the forwarders prior to the uninstallation. After a manual restart, everything seems to work fine.

I realize I can just set stateOnClient = disabled, but there may be cases when we want to completely remove custom apps.

Any idea what could be causing this problem?

Tags (3)

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

It is likely to be this issue, which has been resolved in 4.0.10:

Deploying apps that do not contain a local directory will no longer cause Splunk to crash on the client. (SPL-29019, SPL-30225)

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/4.0.10/ReleaseNotes/4.0.10

oreoshake
Communicator

Well I am using 4.0.10. It is true that my forwarders are not crashing, but the error is preventing the deployment process from restarting the deployment client

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...