Deployment Architecture

Deploy an app using deployment server and make searches globally available by default?

dave_duvall
Explorer

I have an "app" that I deploy with my 4.x deployment server. It sends savedsearches.conf, tags.conf, props.conf, eventtypes.conf and transforms.conf to my distributed indexers globally (I have 4 indexers - US, EMEA, Asia and Latin America). This ensures when I run a distributed search that I have appropriate tags, etc. in place on all indexers.

In the 3.x world these configs pushed without issue. In 4.x I get the configuration to the boxes but the savedsearches, eventtypes, etc for example are not globally available. Can I define the deployment-app in such a way as to make all objects accessible in all apps. Basically want them to behave as if they were created in the search app.

I have all my *.conf files in /opt/splunk/etc/deployment-apps/discovery_indexer/default on the deployment server and this ends up in /opt/splunk/etc/apps/discovery_indexer/default on my indexers.

I saw reference to configuring local.meta on this page http://www.splunk.com/base/Documentation/4.0.10/Admin/Apparchitectureandobjectownership but I wasn't sure if this applied to apps delivered via deployment manager or not and also I couldn't find any detailed syntax on local.meta

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Lowell
Super Champion

If you want everything globally available, simply put this in your local.meta file:

[]
export = system

I found this trick in one of splunk's apps and just copied it. It's the simplest way to go back to the old 3.x style, everything-is-global approach.

If you want to to be more explict, or have more fine-grained control, you can make just certain types of objects globally available. For example, you can enable access to tags and saved searches like this:

[savedsearches]
access = read : [ * ], write : [ admin ]
owner = nobody
export = system

[tags]
owner = nobody
export = system

View solution in original post

Lowell
Super Champion

If you want everything globally available, simply put this in your local.meta file:

[]
export = system

I found this trick in one of splunk's apps and just copied it. It's the simplest way to go back to the old 3.x style, everything-is-global approach.

If you want to to be more explict, or have more fine-grained control, you can make just certain types of objects globally available. For example, you can enable access to tags and saved searches like this:

[savedsearches]
owner = nobody
export = system

[tags]
owner = nobody
export = system

dave_duvall
Explorer

I went with your first suggestion and it worked like a charm. Thanks for throwing in the more detailed syntax as well.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...