Deployment Architecture

Change Universal forwarder metrics from _internal index to another index possible?

hethu
Path Finder

Hi,

I want to monitor a whole bunch of Universal Forwarders that i have set up and configured. All data from these are all forwarded to a heavy forwarder that forwards everything to Splunk Cloud.

My problem is that i have only access to one index in the cloud, but not the _internal index that receives UF metrics. Is it possible to change the index from _internal to the one I have access to in the UF config?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

While, in theory, it may be possible to have the data go to a different index, I advise against it.  First, some of the references to _internal may be hardcoded so you won't be able to change 100% of the events. Second, making such a change may have side effects such as built-in dashboards and alerts no longer working.  Finally, data written to _internal is free whereas sending to a different index will count against your license.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...