Deployment Architecture

Can you help me understand the documentation around the delta replication from a deployer to the search heads cluster?

danman06
Explorer

I'm not fully understanding the documentation around the delta replication from a deployer to the search heads(or cluster). Is it correct in saying that when the bundles are being copied from the deployer to the captain, that only "changes" are being created in the bundle and that is where the .delta files come in? Those .deltas are then replicated out to the cluster members? Apologize if the question is not clear. I really just want to completely understand the process outlined here

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.1.3/DistSearch/PropagateSHCconfigurationchanges
How the cluster applies the configuration bundle

0 Karma

Super Champion

if there is any modification in any file in particular app then whole app tar is created ..the whole app is get replaced and not the only file that has been changed and previous app will be available in default.old.<date> folder

0 Karma

Super Champion

yes..
So first deployer stags the configuration bundle in a separate location on it's file system- $SPLUNK_HOME/var/run/splunk/deploy and then pushes the app directories to each cluster member...and then each cluster member applies app tarball locally . yes that's deployment of app.

danman06
Explorer

thank you, that is good to know. Once the bundle is replicated to the members, it's deployed(un-tarred) into the app(s) directory correct? that's basically the deployment correct?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...