Deployment Architecture

Can't see the 'Install app from file' option (on search head cluster)

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

After downloading an app from splunkbase, I got the following page -

alt text

On the server, after clicking Mange Apps, I see only the ** Browse more apps** -

Meaning, I don't see the Install app from file option.

Any ideas?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

amahoski
Explorer

For a search head cluster, you should actually only deploy apps from the deployer. The appropriate Splunk documentation is below:

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.6.3/DistSearch/PropagateSHCconfigurationchanges

This also involves manually extracting and placing the app itself on the deployer and running the appropriate CLI commands to deploy.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

amahoski
Explorer

For a search head cluster, you should actually only deploy apps from the deployer. The appropriate Splunk documentation is below:

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.6.3/DistSearch/PropagateSHCconfigurationchanges

This also involves manually extracting and placing the app itself on the deployer and running the appropriate CLI commands to deploy.

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

Absolutely !!! that's what I ended up doing. But it seems to me that the splunkbase message I posted above about Install app from file is misleading.

0 Karma

paulbmxu
Explorer

What about standalone splunk? No more option to do install app from file on splunk 7?

0 Karma

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The information relates to a non-clustered search head, however I'm unsure how you got to that page as it does not appear when I load the dashboard examples app

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

It's interesting - on the single server installation I do see the Install app from file option...

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@ddrillic, do you have Admin rights on your Splunk Instance where Install App from file option is not showing up?

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

I do have admin rights and it's a SH cluster where I don't see the option, whereas on the on single server installation, I see it...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...