Deployment Architecture

Can't see the 'Install app from file' option (on search head cluster)

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

After downloading an app from splunkbase, I got the following page -

alt text

On the server, after clicking Mange Apps, I see only the ** Browse more apps** -

Meaning, I don't see the Install app from file option.

Any ideas?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

amahoski
Explorer

For a search head cluster, you should actually only deploy apps from the deployer. The appropriate Splunk documentation is below:

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.6.3/DistSearch/PropagateSHCconfigurationchanges

This also involves manually extracting and placing the app itself on the deployer and running the appropriate CLI commands to deploy.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

amahoski
Explorer

For a search head cluster, you should actually only deploy apps from the deployer. The appropriate Splunk documentation is below:

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.6.3/DistSearch/PropagateSHCconfigurationchanges

This also involves manually extracting and placing the app itself on the deployer and running the appropriate CLI commands to deploy.

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

Absolutely !!! that's what I ended up doing. But it seems to me that the splunkbase message I posted above about Install app from file is misleading.

0 Karma

paulbmxu
Explorer

What about standalone splunk? No more option to do install app from file on splunk 7?

0 Karma

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The information relates to a non-clustered search head, however I'm unsure how you got to that page as it does not appear when I load the dashboard examples app

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

It's interesting - on the single server installation I do see the Install app from file option...

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@ddrillic, do you have Admin rights on your Splunk Instance where Install App from file option is not showing up?

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

I do have admin rights and it's a SH cluster where I don't see the option, whereas on the on single server installation, I see it...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...