Deployment Architecture

Apps pushed thro deployment server not with root user

DataOrg
Builder

i have newly installed UF on the linux machine and splunk user/groups created.
afterwards pushed apps from the deployment server which is placed at windows machine .
here problem is the pushed apps at root user role and read/write permission so the scripts are not able to execute with permission denied error.
after changing to splunk groups and rw access scripts are working.

How to make script to splunk group automatically which are pushed from deployment server.

Labels (3)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The reason is exactly the problem you have.  Windows DS cannot set permissions properly on Linux clients.  See https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.1.1/Updating/Planadeployment#Operating_system_compati...

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This is a known limitation of the DS.  Do not use a Windows DS to push apps to Linux forwarders.

---

DataOrg
Builder

@richgalloway ok got it. can bit elaborate why we should not use windows DS to Linux UF?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The reason is exactly the problem you have.  Windows DS cannot set permissions properly on Linux clients.  See https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.1.1/Updating/Planadeployment#Operating_system_compati...

---
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...