Deployment Architecture

Aggregate and make buckets based on a field and the span mentioned

tikoonikhil
Explorer

I have two fields in my splunk data called as "impact_time" and "incident_name". Now i want to aggregate these incident names based on the "impact_time" and the span that i give. For example,
If i give span as 1d, it should aggregate the incidents under each date.

2016-06-28 a,b,c,d
2016-06-29 g,r,w,d
2016-06-30 f,e,r,t

If i give the span as 1 hr, it should aggregate on the basis of hour from the impact_time

2016-06-28 03:00:00 a,b,c,d
2016-06-29 04:00:00 g,r,w,d
2016-06-30 05:00:00 f,e,r,t

I tried using bucket command but i am not able to aggregate the incident names for each time.
Any help will be appreciated.

0 Karma
1 Solution

javiergn
Super Champion

In principle what you are trying to do can be done with a combination of bucket and stats but keeping one thing in mind: is impact_time a valid time from a Splunk point of view, that is, is it an epoch time or just a string?

If the former you should be able to do it by simply:

your base search
| bucket impact_time span=1d
| stats values(incident_name) as incident_name by impact_time

If the latter, you need to convert impact_time to a valid epoch time that Splunk recognises by using strptime (the datetime syntax I used is just an example):

your base search
| eval impact_time_epoch = strptime(impact_time, "%Y-%m-%d HH:MM:SS")
| bucket impact_time_epoch span=1d
| stats values(incident_name) as incident_name by impact_time_epoch

In both cases, if you want to display your impact_time in a nice format you can use the fieldformat command after stats. Look at the examples if the documentation here.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks,
J

View solution in original post

javiergn
Super Champion

In principle what you are trying to do can be done with a combination of bucket and stats but keeping one thing in mind: is impact_time a valid time from a Splunk point of view, that is, is it an epoch time or just a string?

If the former you should be able to do it by simply:

your base search
| bucket impact_time span=1d
| stats values(incident_name) as incident_name by impact_time

If the latter, you need to convert impact_time to a valid epoch time that Splunk recognises by using strptime (the datetime syntax I used is just an example):

your base search
| eval impact_time_epoch = strptime(impact_time, "%Y-%m-%d HH:MM:SS")
| bucket impact_time_epoch span=1d
| stats values(incident_name) as incident_name by impact_time_epoch

In both cases, if you want to display your impact_time in a nice format you can use the fieldformat command after stats. Look at the examples if the documentation here.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks,
J

tikoonikhil
Explorer

@javiergn
It seems to be getting the data in an aggregated way. Thanks a lot for the input. But there is one problem. When i keep the aggregation time as "hour", if in case an hour has no data, it doesn't show anything for that "impact_time". As in, the corresponding impact_time is completely missing from the data table. Is there any way it can show an empty "incident_number" field for an "impact_time" in case that "impact_time" has no data in it to show? For example:-

2016-06-30 08:00:00 f,e,r,t

Here the time 06:00:00, 07:00:00 have no data. So these fields are missing from the data output completely instead of showing this:-

2016-06-30 06:00:00

2016-06-30 07:00:00
2016-06-30 08:00:00 f,e,r,t

Thanks in advance.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...