Dashboards & Visualizations

view hangs when using layoutpanel value of resultsAreaLeft or sidebar

timpgray
Path Finder

When I specify a layout of either reslutsAreaLeft or sidebar in one of my views, the view hangs. It mostly loads, then displays a 'loading' message that never goes away. I cannot find any documentation that would indicate that either of these layouts would require any special configuration. Does any have any suggestions?

I see this error in the error console:

Timestamp: 12/7/2012 3:54:00 PM
Error: Error: Could not find module class instance for DOM ID=EnablePreview_1_9_0 (21 modules total).
Source File: http://192.168.244.128:8000/en-US/static/@115073/js/common.min.js
Line: 12085

Here is the representative code:

Previous week

LOGS_SOURCE

<module name="SearchBar"  autoRun="true" layoutPanel="panel_row1_col1">
            <module name="SimpleResultsTable" layoutPanel="sidebar">
                <param name="fields">_raw</param>
            </module> 
            <module name="SimpleResultsTable" layoutPanel="panel_row1_col2">
                <param name="fields">_raw</param>
            </module> 

</module> <!-- End SearchBar-->
    </module> <!-- End HiddenSearch-->
</module> <!-- End TimeRangePicker-->

its nonsensical, but it is representative of what I am trying to do.

Originally, I was trying to display a FieldPicker module and it wouldn't display at all - that's how I stumbled on these potential layout values.

Interestingly enough, I tried the 'search' example from the UI Examples - I just copied the source from that and put it into a view in my app. Of course, the example worked in the context of the UI Example app, but it did not work in my app(hangs as I initially described), which I take to imply that there is more configuration involved

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It's because you're using the "dashboard" template, and resultsAreaLeft and sidebar are panels only available in the "search" template. I agree the error messaging here should be better.

And the docs page ( http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/5.0.4/AdvancedDev/AdvancedSearch#Results_layout_panels ) actually neglects to mention that the set of layoutPanels available differs between the templates.

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

same question. Also if there's a "loading" message then there will be a JS error in the console (Tools > Error Console). Can you look for that too? Posting the view somewhere like pastebin would be very helpful too.

0 Karma

sowings
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

What module are you adding to the resultsAreaLeft?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...