Dashboards & Visualizations

draw a theshold line with predict

ilya_resh
Engager

HI,
I have a graph that draws capacity and utilisation and predicts utilisation into the future.
I want to draw a threshold line for capacity , but the threshold's could to be either
- the latest value of the capacity, i.e straight line across the graph
- the value of the capacity at the point of time , but no prediction to the future

I am fine with either option as I just want to see when the predicted utilisation will "cross" the capacity threshold

The threshold should be calculated, as I don't want to update the search/graph every time we change the capacity

here is what i have, but as mentioned I want the threshold not to be predicted

index=_introspection (host=idx*) component=Partitions 
| spath output=capacity path=data.capacity 
| spath output=available path=data.available 
| eval utilised=(capacity - available) / 1024 , capacity = capacity/ 1024
| search *cold 
| timechart span=1h max(utilised) as utilised_max p95(utilised) as utilised_p95 last(capacity) as capacity limit=100 
| predict utilised_max as predict_max utilised_p95 as predict_p95 capacity as capacity future_timespan=168 
| fields - upper95* lower95*

alt text

Thanks

0 Karma
1 Solution

niketn
Legend

[UPDATED ANSWER] Move the | filldown Threshold to after the predict command. Refer to updated answer below. Alternatively as suggested you can also change the chart Format to treat Null Values as connected. This is like applying filldown to all the series in the chart.

@ilya_resh before prediction threshold, in order to improve your searh performance, you should move *cold to the main search instead of | search *cold.

Before the timechart command use eventstats to get the latest capacity as Threshold.
After timechart you can use filldown command to draw the threshold line throughout (you can also use chart options for null values through dashboard edit option for the chart as well.)

Please try out and confirm!

index=_introspection (host=*) component=Partitions "*cold"
| eventstats latest(capacity) as Threshold
| timechart span=1h latest(Threshold) as Threshold max(utilised) as utilised_max p95(utilised) as utilised_p95 last(capacity) as capacity limit=100
| predict utilised_max as predict_max utilised_p95 as predict_p95 capacity as capacity future_timespan=168 
| filldown Threshold

View solution in original post

ilya_resh
Engager

Hi @niketnilay
Here is the result
alt text

You will see that the Threshold line ends at the current time point, but I want it to go all the way till the end of the predicted time period so that I can see when the predicted utilisation will cross the Threshold line.

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

Thanks for the details. Please refer to updated answer below. All you need is to move the filldown command below predict.

niketn
Legend

[UPDATED ANSWER] Move the | filldown Threshold to after the predict command. Refer to updated answer below. Alternatively as suggested you can also change the chart Format to treat Null Values as connected. This is like applying filldown to all the series in the chart.

@ilya_resh before prediction threshold, in order to improve your searh performance, you should move *cold to the main search instead of | search *cold.

Before the timechart command use eventstats to get the latest capacity as Threshold.
After timechart you can use filldown command to draw the threshold line throughout (you can also use chart options for null values through dashboard edit option for the chart as well.)

Please try out and confirm!

index=_introspection (host=*) component=Partitions "*cold"
| eventstats latest(capacity) as Threshold
| timechart span=1h latest(Threshold) as Threshold max(utilised) as utilised_max p95(utilised) as utilised_p95 last(capacity) as capacity limit=100
| filldown Threshold

ilya_resh
Engager

Hi @niketnilay
Here is the result

You will see that the Threshold line ends at the current time point, but I want it to go all the way till the end of the predicted time period so that I can see when the predicted utilisation will cross the Threshold line.

(had to post it as answer, as can't attach files from drive in comments)

0 Karma

ilya_resh
Engager

Moving filldown to after the predict worked like magic, thank you very much @niketnilay

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

Sure. Once you post image as answer, you can convert the same to comment. I have done that for you! Please try the updated answer and confirm!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...