Dashboards & Visualizations

default.xml color option in Splunk 7.1 different then 7.0

simpkins1958
Contributor

In 7.0 the color attribute in nav of default.xml controlled the background color of the menu in a simple xml application. In 7.1 it controls a new highlight bar showing the current menu selection. See screen shot. Is there a new attribute to control the actual background color of the menu area?

<nav search_view="search" color="#32CD32">

alt text

niketn
Legend

@simpkins1958, this is an expected behavior in Splunk 7.1 where color applies to Splunk App's icon and selected Navigation Menu but not to the App Bar. If you need App Bar to be highlighted in dashboards you will have to perform CSS Override as suggested by @alacercogitatus.

Refer to my previous answer for the same: https://answers.splunk.com/answers/657095/where-is-my-app-navigation-bar-color-in-splunk-71.html

lqiao2
Path Finder

Thanks for your answer. I don't understand why Splunk wants to do this. But this really affects the outlook for all the existing apps, creating confusion!

niketn
Legend

@lqiao2 you should get Splunk 7.1 Overview App from Splunkbase which lists out new features of Splunk 7.1 including the move towards Modern Look & Feel and Style Consistency across Splunk.

From Splunk product's perspective I would say that it gives it a consistent look and feel where Custom Splunk Apps created within Splunk will have their own Icon Color and Navigation Menu Highlight color.

Instead of Distinguishing Color from App Bar, it is now App Icon, which to me is a changed for us to get used to 🙂 Do get the Splunk 7.1 Overview app to check these out. Also, with the launch of newer versions corresponding Overview apps are also published on Splunkbase for us to check out the new features being introduced and get hands dirty to see whether they fit our needs.

lqiao2
Path Finder

This is a good question. I am seeing the same as you. I did some research but haven't found a solution. Did you figure out?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...