Dashboards & Visualizations

[XML] How to accomplish showDataLabels property as a map of fields?

ClubMed
Explorer

Per documentation: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.1.2/Viz/ChartConfigurationReference

The property charting.chart.showDataLabels only allow the type (all | minmax | none).

I am attempting to hide data labels for a specific field, but enable data labels for other specified fields.

I am attempting to do something similar to charting.fieldColors which uses maps, but the types are obviously not accepted for the showDataLabels property:

<option name="charting.chart.showDataLabels">
  {"field1":none, "field2":all}
</option>

Is there a workaround possible for this objective?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ClubMed
Explorer

Making this the solution as I have provided step-by-step instructions, but all credit go to @PickleRick for the suggestion.

Based on your response, I found a relevant helpful post at https://community.splunk.com/t5/Dashboards-Visualizations/How-do-I-update-panel-color-in-Splunk-usin...

I had to use the Browser Inspector to identify the specific elements. I inspected the data label itself (not the line/bar whatever you're looking at) which in my case, revealed the class called 'highcharts-label highcharts-data-label highcharts-data-label-color-undefined'.

However, there was not a way to uniquely select these element by itself, so I had to refer to its parent element, which had a class of 'highcharts-data-labels highcharts-series-0 highcharts-line-series', where the numeral character 0 is the series identifier (0,1,2,3 and so on...) Perfect! The series number I wanted to hide is 0.

This also helped me to specify the specific element: https://www.w3schools.com/cssref/css_selectors.php 

With CSS selector, the selector is then (keep in mind the spaces in class name are actually separators and there were 3 seperate classes in that element. I am only selecting the first 2 classes and chaining them:

.highcharts-data-labels.highcharts-series-0

The following block is inserted into panel and works like a charm, hiding only the specified data labels while preserving the other data labels, resulting in a cleaner look:

<row>
    <panel>
      <title>Blah Blah Blah</title>
      <html depends="$alwaysHideCSSStyle$">
        <style>
          .highcharts-data-labels.highcharts-series-0 {
            display:none;
          }
        </style>
      </html>
      <chart> ...

A caveat is that display:none treats this element as air. The chart might auto-adjust itself to fill this space and may impact your desired visual layout. An alternative is to use visibility:hidden, which allows the element to take space on the chart, but be hidden.

Thank you!

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The showDataLabels setting is all or none.  It cannot be set for individual fields so it would set like this

<option name="charting.chart.showDataLabels">all</option>

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

ClubMed
Explorer

Thank you. For Splunk, would you say it is currently impossible to be able to show/hide the individual fields?* No alternative workarounds?

(*To clarify, mimicking the behavior of the showDataLabels setting for the individual fields.) 

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes, I would say it is not possible to do in Simple XML.  @PickleRick may be on to something, however.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You could try to walkaround that with custom css. Insert a <html><style>[...]</style></html> block into your panel and set display: none for selected elements.

ClubMed
Explorer

Making this the solution as I have provided step-by-step instructions, but all credit go to @PickleRick for the suggestion.

Based on your response, I found a relevant helpful post at https://community.splunk.com/t5/Dashboards-Visualizations/How-do-I-update-panel-color-in-Splunk-usin...

I had to use the Browser Inspector to identify the specific elements. I inspected the data label itself (not the line/bar whatever you're looking at) which in my case, revealed the class called 'highcharts-label highcharts-data-label highcharts-data-label-color-undefined'.

However, there was not a way to uniquely select these element by itself, so I had to refer to its parent element, which had a class of 'highcharts-data-labels highcharts-series-0 highcharts-line-series', where the numeral character 0 is the series identifier (0,1,2,3 and so on...) Perfect! The series number I wanted to hide is 0.

This also helped me to specify the specific element: https://www.w3schools.com/cssref/css_selectors.php 

With CSS selector, the selector is then (keep in mind the spaces in class name are actually separators and there were 3 seperate classes in that element. I am only selecting the first 2 classes and chaining them:

.highcharts-data-labels.highcharts-series-0

The following block is inserted into panel and works like a charm, hiding only the specified data labels while preserving the other data labels, resulting in a cleaner look:

<row>
    <panel>
      <title>Blah Blah Blah</title>
      <html depends="$alwaysHideCSSStyle$">
        <style>
          .highcharts-data-labels.highcharts-series-0 {
            display:none;
          }
        </style>
      </html>
      <chart> ...

A caveat is that display:none treats this element as air. The chart might auto-adjust itself to fill this space and may impact your desired visual layout. An alternative is to use visibility:hidden, which allows the element to take space on the chart, but be hidden.

Thank you!

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...