Dashboards & Visualizations

Why is Splunk removing spaces in my field?

splunkin11
Path Finder

I keep having issues where Splunk will remove the space after: field - ... which then messes up the query.
I edit the source and place one or two spaces between 'field' and '-' and which will then show correct output but then when I close the dashboard, it reverts back and removes the spaces to | field-
Am I missing something or is there a way to fix this issue? I suppose I could do a |fields and list all the fields I want to keep but that shouldn't be the answer.
Any suggestions as to why this is occurring? I have several dashboards doing this.

spammenot66
Contributor

What you'll want to do is use in place of space

change

field -

to be

field - 

please award point or accept answer if it works for your.

njad937
Engager

I had the same problem. The solution by @spammenot66 works for me, but only if this is typed into the source (xml) editor of a dashboard rather than the GUI.

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

I don't think issue is with Windows 7 as we also face similar issue. I expect that to be related to IE since this issue occurs when my co-worker (who prefers IE) edits the dashboard and spaces between fields - is removed.

Try changing to Google Chrome browser and see if you still get the issue.

Also maybe we both should open a ticket with Splunk on the issue, as so far I thought it was an issue only with my co-worker's machine.

splunkin11
Path Finder

I'm using Win7 with IE11.
I tried editing the XML directly myself to resolve the issue but that didn't work - well it works once and when I either exit the dashboard or hit 'refresh' in IE, it reverts back.
Yes, search head clustering is being used.

0 Karma

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Have you tested in chrome or firefox and do you see the same issue there?

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

I don't have Windows 7, so I can't test. I suggest that you file a support ticket.

While I would like to blame Windows 7 and IE, I can't see how these products would edit an XML file. 🙂
So I wonder if the knowledge object replication has any effect...

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

What OS are you using? What browser? Is anyone editing the XML directly? Are you using saved searches or inline searches in your dashboards?

Is search head clustering in use?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...