Dashboards & Visualizations

Why does an extension used in the example dashboard app not work outside of that dashboard (Ex: Table Icon Set (Rangemap))?

Gawker
Path Finder

I am trying to use the Table Icon Set (Rangemap) extension as seen in the Examples Dashboard app. I successfully created and tested a new dashboard in the Examples Dashboard app.

I then created a new dashboard in the default environment, copying in the code from the test dashboard in the Examples Dashboard app.

The dashboard in the default environment does not replace the range value with the icon:

Examples Dashboard:

alt text

Default dashboard:

alt text

The code:

<dashboard **stylesheet="table_decorations.css" script="table_icons_rangemap.js"**>
  <label># ECK ICONs Copy Copy</label>
  <description>Use Javascript and CSS in tables to convert rangemap results into icons.</description>
  <row>
    <table **id="table1"**>
      <title>Render Icons based on rangemap result</title>
      <search>
        <query>
                 | metadata index=* type=hosts 
                 | table Location, host, Data_Age_Secs, UTC_Status 
                 | sort Location, host 
                 | **rangemap field=Data_Age_Secs low=0-100 elevated=101-500 severe=501-999999999 default=severe**
                </query>
        <earliest>-1h</earliest>
      </search>
      <option name="drilldown">none</option>
    </table>
  </row>
</dashboard>

I thought that perhaps the extension files had to be propagated (or something configured), but support said that no changes were necessary, indicating it was my code.

Anybody know what I am doing wrong?

Thank you.

1 Solution

Gawker
Path Finder

The solution...

This is the dashboard tag I was using and not getting results in the primary dashboard, but which worked in the Examples Dashboard app:

<dashboard script="table_icons_rangemap.js" stylesheet="table_decorations.css">

This is the corrected tag as provided by support:

<dashboard script="simple_xml_examples:table_icons_rangemap.js" stylesheet="simple_xml_examples:table_decorations.css">

It was what it looked like, a path issue. Unsure as to how one would know to add "simple_xml_examples:" to the js and css file names.

View solution in original post

Gawker
Path Finder

The solution...

This is the dashboard tag I was using and not getting results in the primary dashboard, but which worked in the Examples Dashboard app:

<dashboard script="table_icons_rangemap.js" stylesheet="table_decorations.css">

This is the corrected tag as provided by support:

<dashboard script="simple_xml_examples:table_icons_rangemap.js" stylesheet="simple_xml_examples:table_decorations.css">

It was what it looked like, a path issue. Unsure as to how one would know to add "simple_xml_examples:" to the js and css file names.

efavreau
Motivator

The pathing is mentioned here for cloud: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.1612/AdvancedDev/UseCSS
Here for others: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/AdvancedDev/UseCSS

Glad it was resolved for you. I had the same issues until I found two things:

1. table id, which you had, and I missed (found it called out in another answer by @niketnilay)
  2. hard refresh the browser due to cache

Then it worked. Takes a community. Thank you @Gawker and @niketnilay for your contributions!

###

If this reply helps you, an upvote would be appreciated.

Gawker
Path Finder

I tested Table Cell Highlighting and found the same functional issue.

0 Karma

p_gurav
Champion

Where you added this files? and also beside id what is "**"?

0 Karma

Gawker
Path Finder

I tried to use the bold text feature here and it didn't translate it in the code, so there are a few sets of "**".

I don't know where the files are as they were installed by support. We are cloud based and therefore unable to see where things are.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...