Dashboards & Visualizations

Why am I getting error "File will not be read, is too small to match seekptr checksum" trying to parse and index XML data?

gauravmishra15
Path Finder

HI friends,

I am trying to index some XML data (size ~ 2-3MB) using Splunk. I've set up a data input to continuously monitor the file location. However, Splunk fails to index/parse any of the XML files. Following error is reported in splunkd.log:

ERROR TailReader - File will not be read, is too small to match seekptr checksum (file=\\share\Integration\partners\gateway\SD-882_834_990ABDX_20160219_085743.xml).  Last time we saw this initcrc, filename was different.  You may wish to use larger initCrcLen for this sourcetype, or a CRC salt on this source.

I am not sure about the reason. Did anyone face this issue?

1 Solution

shawny2005
Path Finder

basically change the crd-value and the length it checks.

puneethgowda
Communicator

03-17-2017 12:57:26.944 +0000 ERROR TailReader - File will not be read, is too small to match seekptr checksum (file=D:\HotelHub\Log4NetLogs\109\PH\OHHInfo20170314-07.txt). Last time we saw this initcrc, filename was different. You may wish to use larger initCrcLen for this sourcetype, or a CRC salt on this source. Consult the documentation or file a support case online at http://www.splunk.com/page/submit_issue for more info.

i am also getting this error

0 Karma

dw385
Explorer

Take a look at crcsalt and initcrclength values for the input config.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.3.3/admin/Inputsconf

Splunk checks the first 256 bytes of the file to ensure its unique. Since it's an XML file the XML structure is likely using up the entire 256 bytes.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...