Dashboards & Visualizations

Where is the "What to Search" panel?

feargusmac
Engager

On the Search and Reporting main page there is no "What to Search" panel that was mentioned in the Splunk Fundamentals 1 training, Anyone know why it might not be there and I would be able to access it?

mareas888

Same thing is happening to me as well, uploaded the files as instructed in module 4 twice but still missing. Can't follow along with this rest of the training modules now unfortunately. Any help would be appreciated!  

mareas888_0-1628813624024.png

0 Karma

cityboysummer

Same issue, try clicking "data summary" under the How to Search tab

0 Karma

AraizaGO
Observer

Was there ever a solution to this? I'm at the same stage in Fund. 1 and don't see a "What to Search".....

0 Karma

qedpro10
Observer

Splunk Fundamentals 1 training, it says after you've added all the data that the  "What to Search" panel will show a summary 

What to Search

239,625 Events     a month ago   etc

This does not show up.

Instead it just has the 3 buttons

Documentation  Tutorial  Data Summary

Question:  how do you get the summary to to show up?

0 Karma

BrysonWolf

Hello, did you ever find the What to Search panel?  I'm in the same situation, doing the training, but the panel isn't there.  Using version 8.1.0 which is the most current version, documentation I've found online for 8.1.0 says it should be there, but I don't see it anywhere.

Thanks

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Be glad it's not there. That panel runs a real-time search to show something of little value. Many shops disable that feature so RT searches don't hog resources.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

jacobpevans
Motivator

Greetings @feargusmac,

Are you sure you're looking at the right place? This is what the URL should be: [YourSplunkMachine]:8000/en-US/app/search/search

alt text

Cheers,
Jacob

If you feel this response answered your question, please do not forget to mark it as such. If it did not, but you do have the answer, feel free to answer your own post and accept that as the answer.
0 Karma

mcconnehaiii
Engager

I also am having this issue. I am at the link http://localhost:8000/en-US/app/search/search but there is no panel titled "What to Search". It is replaced with a panel titled "Analyze Your Data with Table Views     New!!"

feargusmac
Engager

Hi, thanks for the response. I am on that same page on my company's Splunk instance and it looks just like that except the "What to Search" panel is not there.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...