Dashboards & Visualizations

What triggers the "Move Panels" button on the "Edit" bar on Simple XML dashboards?

Ricapar
Communicator

See the two screenshots I have below.

I've noticed that on some dashboards (all Simple XML dashboards), I'll have an extra button that says "Move Panels". When I click it, I'll get a box that lets me click-and-drag small square boxes with the panel types/names around, and then it'll update the page.

On most dashboards, I can hover over a dashboard panel, causing it to highlight, and it lets me click and drag it around.

In most cases though, I actually prefer the "Move panels" button. Clicking and dragging the panels with the charts/graphs in them tends to be terribly slow and CPU intensive on the browser.

I'm just curious what is triggering some of them to behave one way, and others another way.

Edit Bar with Move Panels button

Edit Bar without Move Panels button

Edit Panel layout

0 Karma

Gilberto_Castil
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I've noticed that too. I've narrowed it down to cases where the base XML includes non-default options for the visualization. For instance, with a simple chart and there may be a need to modify the baseline for the simple XML so that the colours match the description of the fields at play. When we turn on the edit you can appreciate the fact that we are able to move the visualization with the mouse.

alt text

In this case we would like to include a simple option:

<option name="charting.fieldColors">
    {"Green":0x00CC00,"Yellow":0xFFFF00,"Red":0xFF0000}
</option>

The complete XML for this case will look like this.

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<dashboard>
    <label>Change bar graph colors in Storm
    <row>
        <chart>
        <searchName>My colour table< /searchName>
        <title>Change bar graph colors in Storm</title>
        <option name="charting.chart">column</option>
        <option name="charting.fieldColors">
            {"Green":0x00CC00,"Yellow":0xFFFF00,"Red":0xFF0000}
        </option>
        </chart>
    </row>
</dashboard>

When we return to edit the dashboard, we notice that we cannot move the visualization panel with the mouse directly on the dashboard. Instead, the "Move panels" option is available.

alt text

I am not entirely sure this is the main reason. However, this is the only explanation I have found so far.

0 Karma

dart
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Are you able to post the XML for one of each of those kinds?

I suspect that it's using a different tag and is possibly related to which version of Splunk created the dashboard

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...