Dashboards & Visualizations

What is this Splunk dashboard javascript error?

rashaikh
Engager

We have a custom dashboard and whenever we load it I'm getting this error " A custom Javascript error caused an issue loading your dashboard, like due to the dashboard version update. See the developer console for more details" We are running Splunk 8.2.5. Has something changed? this was working previously? any idea how I can resolve this ?

Labels (1)

MattHatter
Explorer

Came here because we're seeing the same issue in the Lookup Editor app after upgrading to 9.1.1. Users have no way to access their lookups as of now and we really don't want to roll anything back if we don't have to..

@splunk we would really appreciate an answer here..

0 Karma

Djibr
Observer

I solved the problem by updating the lookup editor app to last version (4.0.2) and editing the view as explained by tomapatan

0 Karma

tomapatan
Communicator

Hi @MattHatter 

Did you find a solution to this ?

We had exactly the same problem and we managed to get is resolved by editing the lookup_edit file (under Settings - User Interface - Views) as follows:

<view template="lookup_editor:/templates/generic.html" type="html" isDashboard="true" isVisible="true">
  <label> Lookup edit </label>
</view>
0 Karma

tsondo
Explorer

Thanks for answering. What do you mean by " editing the lookup_edit file "? I am in  "Settings - User Interface - Views" but don't see any way to edit any file or where to alter the text you refer to. Where is this file I should edit?

0 Karma

tomapatan
Communicator

Make sure you are in the lookup editor app context.

If you`re using Splunk Cloud:

https://<domain_name>.splunkcloud.com/en-GB/manager/lookup_editor/data/ui/views 

0 Karma

tsondo
Explorer

Thanks. I am on Splunk Enterprise on a local server. Do you know where the file you reference is and its name?

0 Karma

tomapatan
Communicator

Hi,

The filename is called "lookup_edit" and you can navigate to it using the UI: Settings - User Interface - Views.

0 Karma

sweetie
Explorer

hi,

Apart from adding "version=1.1" in source code, Can someone help summarize what has to be done for fixing below error- 

"A custom JavaScript error caused an issue loading your dashboard, likely due to the dashboard version update. See the developer console for more details."

0 Karma

arunkuriakose
Explorer

Facing the same issue in splunk security essentials

0 Karma

lhd
Loves-to-Learn Lots

I'm also getting the same error, do you have any solutions yet?

0 Karma

AnilPujar
Path Finder

it got fixed for me after using the right version app, updating my custom javascript also use version="1.1" in the first line
<dashboard version="1.1" >
OR
<form version="1.1">

to remove version change notice

0 Karma

sajjanshetty15
Loves-to-Learn

Hi @AnilPujar, could you please tell what changes you did in JS? 

0 Karma

N3astY
Explorer

Hello,

We are also having issues , when trying to update the application "Splunk Dashboard Examples" from version 8.1.0 to 8.2.5. On the Overview page it gives the error: "A custom JavaScript error caused an issue loading your dashboard. See the developer console for more details."

Curently running Splunk 8.2.6.1

Anyone any ideea? Could this influence the day to day business in the future if upgrading the app?

Thank you!

0 Karma

AnilPujar
Path Finder

common.js:1798 SyntaxError: Unexpected token , in JSON at position 49
at JSON.parse (<anonymous>)
at _decodeOptions (dashboard_1.1.js:277)
at dashboard_1.1.js:277
at Function._.each._.forEach (common.js:1798)
at Function.ready._enableComponentDivs (dashboard_1.1.js:277)
at dashboard_1.1.js:277
at Object.execCb (eval at module.exports (common.js:1), <anonymous>:1658:33)
at Module.check (eval at module.exports (common.js:1), <anonymous>:869:55)
at Module.eval (eval at module.exports (common.js:1), <anonymous>:1121:34)
at eval (eval at module.exports (common.js:1), <anonymous>:132:23)

0 Karma

johnstark
Engager

I get the error in palo alto application and now in security essentials. 

RatibAnsari
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Im getting the same error now in my SSE app. did you ever figure out how to solve it?

0 Karma

johnstark
Engager

johnstark_0-1666732400450.png

This the error in the dev tools F12

<form version="1.1">   maybe the script needs to be in the form line ?

marcoscala
Builder

Same error in Palo Alto Application, V. 7.1.0.

0 Karma

caseylp
Engager

Getting the same error in SSE, rendering the app unusable for managing security content

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

As you said - it's a custom dashboard most probably either it has some bugs or relies on elements which changed behaviour.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...