Dashboards & Visualizations

Search with passed variable (like ldapfilter search="(samaccountname=$user$)") doesn't work when in simple XML

rupeters
Explorer

I have a search that works fine:

[search that returns a list of users in a user variable] | domain=MYDOMAIN search="(samaccountname=$user$)ldapfilter" attrs="cn,dn,displayName"
works great in search. But when I put the search in a form (simple xml) I get an error, "Search query is not fully resolved."

It appears that the $user$ variable is being interpreted as a token. I've tried to escape $user$ as \$user\$, but that doesn't work. Please help.

Tags (3)
0 Karma

peppi
Explorer

Hi @rupeters 

$$ did the trick for me.

(samaccountname=$$user$$)

 

rupeters
Explorer

Figured out a workaround to the problem by putting the above search into a macro (macroname) and calling the macro from the macroname in the form.

sowings
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Tried \$\$user\$\$ ? I seem to recall having to do that in another context.

0 Karma

rupeters
Explorer

Tried to edit the above. It won't let me. What I wanted to say was "I've tried to escape $user$ as \$user\$"

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Accelerate Service Onboarding, Decomposition, Troubleshooting - and more with ITSI’s ...

Accelerate Service Onboarding, Decomposition, Troubleshooting - and more!  Faster Time to Value Managing and ...

New Release | Splunk Enterprise 9.3

Admins and Analyst can benefit from:  Seamlessly route data to your local file system to save on storage ...

2024 Splunk Career Impact Survey | Earn a $20 gift card for participating!

Hear ye, hear ye! The time has come again for Splunk's annual Career Impact Survey!  We need your help by ...